Saturday, May 31, 2014

Two finishes and a few string quilts

 I hope you all are enjoying the warmer weather. I have been spending a lot of time in the garden, but you know I will always make time for quilting. 
 
I finished the purple basket quilt. I love how the quilt crinkled up after the first wash and dry. I know I said this a lot of times, but it is always such a great feeling seeing the quilt for the first time out of the dryer.
 Do you see all the different purple yo-yos? Well, I added them after I quilted the quilt to cover up the seams that did not want to line up nicely. I really like using little yo-yos.
 Here is my second quilt finished with leftover blocks. I like how it crinkled up; I love crinkled quilts. Here I go again about crinkled quilts...oops :)
 I really enjoy making string quilts. This is the butterfly string quilt I just quilted on my longarm for my youngest daughter. I used a good old stipple for the quilting.
Orange and purple are some of her favorite colors. I also added a few green, blue, and yellow strings. I like to use cona cotton snow for the background. This is probably the fastest string quilt that I have made and I like how it can look like bows too.
 A few more strings for a rectangle string quilt.
 I grabbed all the lighter colored strings from previous projects. 
 And this is the quilted string quilt. I used a cream colored fabric for the sashings.
For the border I used the pretty soft yellow fabric with pink flowers. 
 For the backing I was very tempting to use a colored back, but I went back to my usual cream colored fabric for the backing.
I hope you have a good weekend. I will be working on my daughters binding.
 
Smiles,
Millie

14 comments:

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Millie, they are all so pretty, I really like the basket quilt with the yo yo's. But it's your quilting that makes them even more beautiful.

Anonymous said...

These are very pretty, Millie! I agree that warmer temps are nice beckoning us away from our machines. Enjoy!

Michele said...

It all looks great.

Elzaan said...

Ek is gek oor jou madjie-kwilt en die kwilt gemaak van al die oorskiet blokke.
Ek is ook mal oor die "crinkel" van kwilte, so jy hoef nie skuldig te voel om daaroor aan te gaan nie :)
Jou "string" kwilte is altyd 'n plesier om te sien. Dis beslis 'n goeie manier om van elendige oorskiet materiale ontslae te raak.
Lieflike kwiltwerk oor die algemeen, maar dit weet jy ook alreeds.

Anonymous said...

I love your quilts and quilting but I especially love your 5" square pink and green quilt. I need to see if maybe I have enough pinks and greens to make a lap quilt just for me.

Betty in Ky.

debbie said...

The yo-yos are a great idea. I hadn't thought of that. I love the colors in the last quilt the best, so very pretty. xx debbie

Sulaiman Muko said...

Kunjungan Perdana soob. Infonya semoga bermanfaat bagi banyak orang

Searchfamilies said...

Love the quilts they are all nice the basket one is nice because of using the Lilac
Hugs Janice

Sparky said...

you truly are such an artiste and your passion for excellence always moves me...each one nicer than the next

Ulla's Quilt World said...

The quilts are so stunning! :)
Greetings from Finland!
Hugs, Ulla

Gmama Jane said...

Millie, your string quilts remind me how much I love string quilts as well as making them!
Lovely
Gmama Jane

milainoa said...

Unos trabajos preciosos.
Un saludo

Chris H said...

Gorgeous quilts! I like the idea of using little yo-yo's for boo boos!

Faythe said...

I love reading your blog and seeing all the beautiful quilts..I miss your postings. Hope you will come back soon