Monday, September 21, 2015

Red quilt and orange and yellow pillows

Wow, it's almost the end of summer. My youngest daughter's favorite color is orange. She asked for a red and black quilt for her Texas A&M dorm room.  She picked a 108" wide red fabric and a 108" wide black fabric for the backing of her quilt. I had a week to make her a quilt and pillows. Her room colors are red, yellow and orange with black accents. She's always the one telling me "less is more". I am the first to admit I can overdue things. So when I only had a week to make a bed quilt and pillows, I was really happy that I didn't need to piece anything for this wholecloth quilt. I made a few bright pillows to match her room colors too.
I love these unfinished wood crates. You can buy them for under $10 at Walmart or Lowes. I think some craft shops have them for cheap too. I spray painted her crates flat black. I added rafia bows in red, orange and yellow to the crates. These crates are perfect for meeting most her dorm room storage problems.
I found 2 small little unfinished wood crates at Target for $1 each. Then I spray painted them flat black and added a orange and yellow ric rack. She also picked these orange silk flowers and a black candle holder as a holder for the flowers. Very cute and inexpensive!
I didn't finish the binding on my pinwheel quilt, but I took the leftover scraps and made a small nine patch quilt. I love scrappy 9 patch quilts.
I caught little Mollie hiding her prune in a guest bedroom under the pillows. So cute, good thing no one sleeps there!
  I love working in the garden. A few pictures of my knockoff roses.
I had a Snowball quilt on my wish list for a very long time. 
The picture below was my first attempt for my Snowball blocks. It did not look quite right, so I undo the corner blocks and make them smaller. 
These blocks look a lot better and I love how my first Snowball quilt turned out. 
Hope you all had a wonderful summer!
Happy quilting until next time,
Millie :)

5 comments:

Elzaan said...

Sjoe Millie, gaan jou oudste alreeds universiteit toe?! Baie sterkte aan almal van julle met die groot aanpassing. Die kleurskema wat jou dogter gekies het is baie mooi en lieflik helder.
Prettige kwilte wat jy gemaak het. Wel gedaan met jou eerste sneeubal kwilt.

julieQ said...

Gorgeous quilt for a young lady! I really love your roses, they are going strong!

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

Isn't it funny - our children may not have our tastes, but we can still use our talents to make them happy! Your offerings for your daughter's dorm room just say "LOVE" in the sweetest way. Your yard and flowers are so pretty and your quilts - oh my, just beautiful!

Barb said...

What a fun post.....love those pillows and the storage idea....

Chris H said...

What a lovely quilt for your daughter... and your other endeavours are neat too.